Northampton 19-15 Glasgow Warriors

Northampton 19-15 Glasgow Warriors


Northampton 19-15 Glasgow Warriors. A 79th-minute try from Harry Mallinder gave Northampton a 19-15 home win over Glasgow in the Champions Cup on Sunday.

Saints trailed 15-12 with two minutes remaining before a cross-field kick was flicked back by George North and Mallinder snapped it up to cross for the winning score, setting Franklin’s Gardens alight.

Tries from Teimana Harrison and Christian Day put Northampton ahead earlier in the game before Finn Russell clawed his side back from the kicking tee, pulling things level in the 57th minute. Stuart Hogg then put Glasgow ahead with 10 minutes remaining, and the PRO12 side looked set to close the game out before Mallinder grabbed his late chance to steal the win.

The victory puts Northampton in second place in Pool 3, and though they cannot catch first-placed Racing 92, they could earn one of the qualifier places.

Harrison opened the scoring for Northampton when he crossed from short range. The initial drive went to ground but the Saints pack kept their composure for Harrison to burrow his way over for the score. JJ Hanrahan added the extras to make it 7-0 after 10 minutes.

Russell, as he did throughout the game, kept Glasgow within touching distance from the tee with a 23rd-minute penalty after Saints were caught offside in the midfield.

Russell stepped up to do the same with eight minutes remaining in the half to make it a one-point game as the sides headed for the change-rooms at half-time.

Russell then put his side ahead for the first time in the game when Saints again strayed offside, but four minutes later Day reclaimed Saints’ lead when he found himself at the back of a powerful driving maul.

Hanrahan missed with the conversion, but Northampton held a 12-9 lead with less than half an hour left in the game.

The Glasgow front row earned their side a penalty in front of the poles when they got the upper hand on their opposite numbers, and Russell sent the effort at goal through the uprights to level things up as the third quarter drew to a close.

Saints were penalised in the 70th minute when trying to rip the ball at the breakdown, and though the shot at goal was too far for Russell to contemplate, full-back Hogg took over to give his side a three-point lead in the closing stages of the game.

Glasgow’s replacement second rower Tim Swinson was then caught throwing a punch at a maul, and was shown a yellow card with five minutes remaining.

Northampton sensed they had a chance to win the game with the extra man advantage, and were proven right when Stephen Myler’s cross kick was won by North and collected by Mallinder for a relieving victory.